Friday, September 17, 2010

The past two weeks.

I'm in the middle of grading.  I want to rip my hair out.  Is it so hard to read instructions or listen to the shouting harpy that's walking around the classroom and telling you to put on goggles?  Really.

The worksheets aren't that hard to grade.  The most common mistakes are not showing work and not using sigfigs.  Whatever, we'll work on that.  Something that confuses me is when they don't write the unknown label on their worksheet.  How am I supposed to tell you if you're right or wrong if I don't know what you had?  Oh well.

I do have actual reports for the gen chem kids.  And by kids, I mean students.  Some of these 'kids' are older than me....by like, twelve years.  :-/ 
Anyway, it's an actual report, asking for full sentences.  I asked for a coversheet and for them to 'make it pretty.'  They took it literally.  Some reports have pictures and jokes on them.   I may or may not absolutely love and adore my gen chem classes. 

Overall, the students aren't that bad.  There are the students that are oblivious and apparently don't know how to read, either.  they're few and far between, but I can handle it.  Some (all) don't want to be there, but their trying and getting through it.  Then the last few.  They're smart.  And they know it, so they're cocky about.... Whatever, they're smart and they do the work.  There are worse things. 

The worst part has got to be the commute.  I leave at 5:30 in the morning.  It's unlawful.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment